In a remarkable achievement, five Indian schools have been shortlisted for the World’s Best School Award 2023. The schools shortlisted are from Delhi, Gujarat and Maharashtra. Even a government school from Dilshad Colony, Delhi is also shortlisted for the award.
World Best School Prizes 2023 recognises the best schools from around the world. The Prize money is around $250000. All these schools excel in providing quality education to their students. Go through this post to know which Indian schools are shortlisted for the awards and other interesting details about the prizes.
Categories of World Best School Prizes 2023
These awards are presented in the following five categories.
- Community Collaboration – This category is about recognizing the school that have taken action to improve the local community.
- Environmental Action – In this category, the schools that showed a commitment to environmental sustainability will be awarded.
- Innovation – This category is for those schools that have implemented innovative programs. It includes the use of technology, new teaching methods, etc.
- Overcoming Adversity – The aim of this category is to recognize those schools that overcome significant challenges to achieve success. It includes schools affected by conflict, natural disasters, economic hardship, etc.
- Supporting Healthy Lives – This award recognizes schools that have given priority to health along with the well-being of their students and staff.
List of Indian Schools Shortlisted for the Award
- Nagar Nigam Pratibha Balika Vidyalaya (NPBV), F-Block, Dilshad Colony – It is an MCD-run government school in Delhi. It is a girl school that offers classes from 1st to 5th grade. This school is shortlisted under the community collaboration category.
- Oberoi International School, Mumbai – It is a private co-educational school located in Mumbai. Established in the year 2008, this school is also shortlisted under the community collaboration category.
- Riverside School, Ahmedabad – The Riverside School Ahmedabad has been shortlisted for the World Best School Prizes 2023 under the innovation category. It is a proud moment for the school because it is one of the highly competitive categories. Established in 2001, this school is run by renowned educator Kiran Bir Sethi.
- Snehalaya English Medium School, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra – Snehalaya English Medium School is shortlisted for the World’s best school prize under the Overcoming Adversity category. This school has played a phenomenal role in changing the lives of children from HIV/ AIDS victims and sex workers.
- Shindewadi Mumbai Public School, Mumbai – It is a school run by the Akanksha Foundation, Mumbai. This is shortlisted for the award under the Supporting Healthy Lives category. Previous Year, another school run by Akanksha Foundation i.e. PCMC English Medium School in Bopkhel, Pune made it to the top-3 in the Community Engagement category.
The Top 3 finalists for each category of the World’s Best Schools Awards will be announced in September. After this, the winners will be announced in October. The prize money of US$ 2,50,000 will be divided equally among the winners of the 5 prizes. Each of the winners will receive an award of US$50,000.
Judges (Review Panel)
The final winners will be decided by the panel of the following judges.
|Andria Zafirakou||Award-Winning Teacher, UK|
|Maggie MacDonnell||Award-Winning Teacher, Canada|
|Hiba Ballout||Teacher at St. George’s School, Lebanon|
|Vandana Goyal||COO at Avanti Fellows & former CEO of Akanksha Foundation Schools, India|
|Armand Doucet||Teacher at Riverview High School, Canada|
|Rebecca Winthrop||Co-Director of the Centre for Universal Education, Brookings, USA|
|Stuart MacAlpine||Initiative Lead, Playful Schools Initiative, LEGO Foundation, Denmark|
|Christina Kwauk||Non-Resident Fellow, Brookings, USA|
|James Toop||CEO, Bite Back 2030, UK|
|Azad Oomen||CEO, Global School Leaders, India|
|Camila Pereira||Director of Education, Lemann Foundation, Brazil|
|Eric Jamieson||Former Director of High Performance, New South Wales Department of Education, Australia|
|Fiona Gatty||Research Fellow, University of Oxford, UK|
|Sarah Peterson||Senior Director of Attendance, Research and Innovation with the Office of Community Schools, NYC Department of Education, USA|
Other Shortlisted Schools for World’s Best School Prizes 2023
Here are the lists of the top 10 schools shortlisted under each category of the awards.
|Community Collaboration||ACS International School Cobham, Barham Primary School, Booker Washington Institute, Escola Municipal Professor Edson Pisani, Kongkong Elementary School, Nagar Nigam Pratibha Baalika Vidhyalaya F- Block, Dilshad Colony-1st, NLCS Jeju, Oberoi International School, SPARK Soweto, William Henry Burkhart Elementary.|
|Environmental Action||Agora Portals International School, Mamoura British Academy, Colegio Johannes Kepler – Fundación Kiddy House, EEMTI Jaime Tomaz de Aquino, Escuela Secundaria Pdte. Domingo F. Sarmiento (National University of the North West of the Province of Buenos Aires), Institución Educativa Municipal Montessori sede San Francisco, Muntinlupa National High School, New Myrnam School, Silibwet Secondary School, The Harbour School Hong Kong.|
|Innovation||British Vietnamese International School, Ho Chi Minh City, Camino School, Crimson Global Academy, Escuela Técnica Roberto Rocca, GEMS Modern Academy, ISIS Europa, Palo Alto High School, Sedgefield Hardwick Primary Academy, Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Permai, The Riverside School.|
|Overcoming Adversity||Cadoxton Primary School, Children In Freedom School, Colegio Impacto de MAIA, Escuela Litoral Austral, Feversham Primary Academy, Colegio Campestre ICAL, Government Girls Day Secondary Runjin Sambo, Sokoto, Max Rayne Hand in Hand Jerusalem School, Physics and Mathematics Specialized School named after Artashes Shahinyan under the Yerevan State University (PhysMaths), Snehalaya English Medium School|
|Supporting Healthy Lives||Beaconhouse Gulshan Campus, Cardiff Sixth Form College, Chester Arthur School, EEMTI Joaquim Bastos Gonçalves, EMEB Profª Maria Aparecida De Souza Almeida Ramos, Escuela N°67 de Pueblo Olivera, IMG Academy, Rustenburg Girls’ High School, Shindewadi Mumbai Public School (Akanksha Foundation), Sekolah Kebangsaan Kanchong Darat|
Frequently Asked Questions
For the Family Champion programme initiated by the school.
A panel of judges including educational experts & industry professionals will review the applications and select the winner.