Geological Society of India will release the official notification for International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023. Those candidates who will be in the class 9th, 10th, and 11th standard in September 2023 are eligible to apply for this Olympiad. After the entrance exam and rigorous training, the top four students will represent India at the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 at Beijing, China. All those aspirants who want to apply need to submit the application form through the school/ center in which they wish to take the exam. In this post, we are going to discuss complete details related to the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023.
IESO 2023 Important Dates
Given below is the tentative schedule for IESO 2023.
|Main Events||Tentative Dates|
|Starting of the registration process||1st week of September 2023|
|Last date for registration||2nd week of November 2023|
|Date of the entrance exam||1st week of December 2023|
|Declaration of result||2nd week of January 2023|
International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Those students who want to participate in the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 must ensure that they meet the following eligibility criteria.
- The student should be a native of India. Provisionally, students with OCI cards are also eligible to write the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023.
- The student must be studying in class 9th, 10th, or 11th in the month of September 2023.
- Also, the age of a candidate should be less than 18 years.
IESO 2023 Application Form
The application process of the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) will take place in offline mode. Those who want to apply may download the application form from the official website. The complete application process is explained below.
- The students may contact their school authorities for getting the application form or download the same from the official website.
- In the application form, candidates have to provide the required details accurately.
- The following details are required to be entered in the application form.
- Student Registration Details: Name of the student, date of birth, gender, class/ standard
- Student Studying Details: School type, name of the school, School place.
- Correspondence Details of Student: Residential address of the student
- It is also necessary to pay the necessary application fee while submitting the registration form.
- The duly filled application form must be submitted at the school.
- Students are advised to check their registration details online seven days after submitting the application form.
- The application fee for all the candidates is Rs. 150/-
- All the candidates need to pay the application fee at the school and get the acknowledgment slip with institution seal.
Check: IOAA 2023
International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 Selection Process
The International Earth Science Olympiad Selection process consists of the following four stages as given below.
- 1st Stage: The first stage is a National level entrance test (ET). This test consist of objective type of questions. Top 20 students from this test will be selected for the next stage i.e. Training Camp.
- 2nd Stage: The second stage is Training Camp and the National Earth Science Olympiad (INESO). The training camp will continue for around 18 days of duration. This will be conducted at the research institute/ university level. Once the training gets completed, a test will be organized. Based on the test, only the top 4 students will be selected to represent India at International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023.
- 3rd Stage: Pre Departure Training: Before the candidates depart for Beijing, China to represent India. They undergo further training guided by a team of leaders and mentors. The IESO training will take place at the Geological Society of India, Bangalore.
- 4th Stage: Finally, the candidates get the chance to represent India at International Earth Science Olympiad. The IESO 2023 will be held at Beijing, China.
IESO 2023 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for the 1st stage i.e. National level entrance test (ET) is given below.
- Mode of examination: Offline
- Type of questions: Objective type multiple choice questions
- Duration of the examination: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Language of questions: English
Note: The National level Entrance Test for International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 will be conducted at around 75 centers across the country.
IESO 2023 Syllabus
The general syllabus for the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 are as follows.
- Mineral & Rocks
- Identification of selected minerals from the list
- Classification of selected rocks from the list
- Identification of reefal limestones and reef-building organisms.
- Historical geology (Sedimentology, paleontology, stratigraphy, paleo-global change)
- Principle of Plate tectonics and its application
- Plate tectonics & Seismology
- Physical geography – geomorphology, climatology, hydrology, soil geography, major vegetation zones.
- Observational Astronomy – Relative motion between the Sun, Moon and Earth, Sky, Planetary observations, Stellar brightness and colour, Telescopes
- Introduction to Solar System – Sun, Terrestrial plants, Outer planets, Dwarf planets, Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Planetary rings, Space exploration in the solar system
- The Sun is a star
- The Earth in the Universe
- Space Science
- Basics and Energy of the Atmosphere
- Moisture, Clouds, and Precipitation
- Air Pressure and Motion
- Weather Systems and Patterns
- Climate and Climate Change
- Observations, Weather Forecasts, and Atmospheric Optics
- Hydrography: Water temperature, Color of sea water, Water depth, Nutrients in ocean, Water density, Dissolved oxygen, Salinity, Light intensity in ocean, Sea level, Altimeter, Pressure, Evaporation, T-S diagram, Precipitation, Mixing layer, River runoff, Sound velocity in ocean
- Current: Geostrophic current, Sea surface dynamic topography, Eddy, Thermohaline circulation, Coriolis force, Friction force
- Tide: Semi-diurnal tide, Tide-generating force, Diurnal tide, Low water, Neap tide, High water, Spring tide, tidal range, Equilibrium theory of tide
- Wave: Wave height, Wave speed in shallow water, Wave period, Wave speed in deep water, Wave length, Tsunami
International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 Result
- After conducting the examination, authorities will declare the result online through the official website.
- Please note that only 20 students will be shortlisted for the next round.
- Those 20 students who will clear the first stage of the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) the certificate of merit.
- The four students who will represent India in the International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO) 2023 will get the certificate of merit along with the cash prize.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is expected that the result will be announced after 2 months of the examination.
You can apply and study from the study material available on the official website.
No, the students from 9, 10, and 11 class only can apply for this Olympiad.
No, you need to submit the application form strictly at the center (school) in which you are looking to take the examination.