International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) 2023 will be conducted by the Science Olympiad Foundation. IMO olympiad full form is International Mathematics Olympiad.
The aim of this Olympiad is to encourage and develop the interest of students in Mathematics subject. Students from class 1st to 12th can participate in the Olympiad. Those interested students who want to apply may contact their school because the registration forms are accepted through schools only. In this post, we are going to provide you with all the necessary details related to the International Mathematics Olympiad 2023.
Latest: IMO 2023 will be conducted on- 31st October 2023, 30th November 2023, and 14th December 2023.
IMO Exam Date 2023
The tentative schedule of the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) is given in the table below.
|Important Events||Tentative Dates|
|IMO 2023 Date One||31st October 2023|
|IMO 2023 Date Two||30th November 2023|
|IMO 2023 Date Three||14th December 2023|
International Math Olympiad 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) 2023 are given below.
- Students who are studying in class 1st to 12th of a recognized school are eligible to participate in the 1st level Olympiads.
- Please note that there is no other eligibility criterion like minimum marks.
Those students who will be qualified for 2nd level examination include.
- Class-wise top 5% students who have appeared for the 1st level examination.
- Class-wise top 25 rank holders zone wise, and
- Class toppers from each participating school where at least 10 students from a class appear in the exam & scores 50% qualifying marks.
Note: You should know that the 2nd level examination will not be conducted for the class 1st and 2nd students. Their ranks will be based on the level first examination.
IMO 2023 Application Form
The details regarding the registration process of the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) 2023 are given below.
- The students who want to participate in the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) need to register through their respective schools only.
- The Science Olympiad Foundation does not accept individual registrations by the students.
- At least 10 students from a school are required in order to register for SOF IMO.
- The Principals/ teachers should know that any school can be registered as a center for International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) Level 1. There is absolutely no fee is required from the school.
- Registration forms and prospectus will be sent by the SOF to the school.
- Students need to collect the registration form from the school and fill the details carefully.
- All the students need to submit the registration form to their school.
- Then, the school will return the duly filled and completed registration forms to the SOF before the last date.
- Please note that the incorrect or incomplete application forms will be rejected.
The registration fee applicable for the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) is as follows.
- India, Bangladesh, Bhutan & Nepal: Rs. 125/- (including GST) per student
- Students suffering from any major physical disability: Nil
- Students whose parent was martyred during defence operations: Nil
- Fees for the students of other countries: US$9
- The school will provide admit card (roll number) to the students to take part in the examination.
- The school’s coordinating teacher will fill the School Registration Form (SRF) and Students’ Registration Sheet (SRS) as per the guidelines given & will send it to the SOF’s office before the due date of submission of forms.
- SOF will then register the applicant school along with the students.
- SOF will generate roll numbers for all students, as per the student registration sheet (SRS).
- No candidate will be allowed to enter the examination hall without admit card.
The SOF International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) consist of two levels.
Level – 1
- The level 1st of the test will be organized in the participating school during the school hour
- The duration of the examination will be 60 minutes.
- There will be 35 objective type multiple choice questions in the exam for class 1st to 4th. Students from class 5th to 12th need to answer 50 objective type multiple choice questions in the examination.
- There are separate question papers for each class
- The questions will be asked in English language only.
Detailed Examination pattern for Class 1st to 4th
|Topic/ Section||No. of questions||Marks per question||Total Marks|
|Total||35 questions||40 marks|
Detailed Examination pattern for Class 5th to 12th
|Topic/ Section||No. of questions||Marks per question||Total Marks|
|Total||50 questions||60 marks|
- The level 2 will be conducted only for the students 3rd to 12th.
- The qualifiers to 2nd round would including the following.
- At school level: topper of the class where at least 10 students from the class appear in the examination & score a minimum of 50% qualifying marks.
- At zone/ state level: Top 25 rank holders from each class and each zone.
- At international level: Class-wise top 5% of the candidates who take the 1st level of the exam internationally.
IMO 2023 Syllabus
The syllabus is different for various classes. We have provided the syllabus for some of the classes as given below.
- 1st Class and 2nd Class: Patterns, Odd One Out, Measuring Units, Geometrical Shapes, Spatial Understanding, Grouping, Analogy, Ranking Test, Problems based on Figures, Numerals, Number names, Number Sense, Addition, Subtraction, Lengths, Weights and Comparisons, Time, Money, Geometrical Shapes and Solids, Patterns, etc.
- 3rd Class and 4th Class: Patterns, Analogy and Classification, Alphabet Test, Coding-Decoding, Ranking Test, Grouping of Figures and Figure Matrix, Mirror Images, Geometrical Shapes, Embedded Figures, Days and Dates & Possible Combinations, Numerals, Number names and Number Sense (4-digit numbers), Computation Operations, Fractions, Length, Weight, Capacity, Temperature, Time, Money, Geometry, Data Handling.
- 9th Class: Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning, Number Systems, Polynomials, Coordinate Geometry, Linear Equations in Two Variables, Introduction to Euclid’s Geometry, Lines and Angles, Triangles, Quadrilaterals, Areas of Parallelograms and Triangles, Circles, Constructions, Heron’s Formula, Surface Areas and Volumes, Statistics, Probability
- 11th Class: Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning, Sets, Relations and Functions, Principle of Mathematical Induction, Logarithms, Complex Numbers & Quadratic Equations, Linear inequations, Sequences and Series, Trigonometry, Straight Lines, Conic Sections, Permutations and Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Statistics, Mathematical Reasoning, Limits and Derivatives, Probability, Introduction to 3-D Geometry, etc.
IMO 2023 Result
- The result of Olympiad will be declared within 8 weeks of the examination.
- The result will be sent to the school by authorities. Students may contact their schools for the result.
- Apart from this, the result will also be made available on the official website.
- The student performance report (result card) will help students analyze their strong and weak areas.
Also Check: SOF National Cyber Olympiad (NCO)
Frequently Asked Questions
No, all the candidates who want to participate in the exam need to apply through their school only.
Yes, a student can apply for both the Olympiad if he/she wants.
Yes, you can apply. This will give you a chance to improve your rankings.
No, the International Mathematics Olympiad will be conducted in the English language only.