NIO 2023: The National Informatics Olympiad is a nationwide competition organized annually by IARCS to identify school students with outstanding skills in algorithms and computer programming. A team of four students is selected to represent India at the International Olympiad for Informatics (IOI). Interested candidates currently enrolled in any school can apply for the Olympiad through online mode.
Candidates will first have to clear a zonal round only after which they can sit for the national level exam. Find complete details about the National Informatics Olympiad (NIO) 2023 in this article below.
National Informatics Olympiad 2023 Important Dates
The table below presents the tentative dates related to the National Informatics Olympiad 2023:
|Major Activities||Tentative Dates|
|Release of official notification||Last week of August 2023|
|Release of online application form||3rd week of September 2023|
|Last date to submit the application form||1st week of October 2023|
|Date of Zonal Informatics Olympiad (ZIO) 2023||2nd week of November 2023|
|Date of Zonal Computing Olympiad (ZCO) 2023||1st week of December 2023|
|Declaration of result||2nd week of December 2023|
|Date of National Informatics Olympiad (NIO) 2023||2nd week of January 2024|
|Declaration of result||2nd week of February 2024|
|IOI Training Camp (IOITC) to be held on||June 2024 to August 2024|
|Date of International Informatics Olympiad (IIO) 2023||1st week of August 2024|
The following eligibility criteria must be fulfilled by the candidates applying for the National Informatics Olympiad 2023:
- The National Informatics Olympiad or Indian Computing Olympiad (ICO) is open to all school students across the country studying in a school affiliated to any recognized board.
- The student should be studying in any class up to std. XII during the academic year 2023-2024.
- No lower age limit is prescribed for participation in the National Informatics Olympiad.
- Candidates who have completed their class 12 are not eligible for the Olympiad even if they are not enrolled in college (have taken a break), or if are planning to redo their class 12 board exams for improvement.
National Informatics Olympiad 2023 Application Form
- The application form for the different stages of the National Informatics Olympiad 2023 will be released online on the official website of IARCS www.iarcs.org.in.
- To fill the application form, the candidates will have to provide details like name, age, gender, school name, class studying in, etc.
- After providing all the details into the application form, the candidates should check the form for any error.
- Any mistake in the application form should be corrected immediately. The application form can be submitted after that.
Stages of National Informatics Olympiad
The National Informatics Olympiad will be held in the following two stages:
- The first round of the National Informatics Olympiad is in two parts.
- The candidates can appear for the Zonal Informatics Olympiad (ZIO) which will be a written exam held at many centers across the country.
- Alternatively, students can take part in the Zonal Computing Olympiad (ZCO) which will be a programming contest. The programming languages supported are C, C++, Java and Python.
- Students could write both exams as well and qualify through either one.
- The second round will be the National Informatics Olympiad man exam which involves programming. The programming languages supported are C++ and Java.
- The result of various stages of the National Informatics Olympiad 2023 will be declared online on the official website of IARCS.
- Candidates who clear the zonal round will be allowed to appear for the national round.
- Those who qualify the national round will be given 10 days training at the International Olympiad in Informatics Training Camp.
- After completing the training, the candidates will be given the chance to participate in the International Informatics Olympiad.
Benefits of National Informatics Olympiad
The students who clear the National Informatics Olympiad or Indian National Olympiad in Informatics (INOI) will get many benefits from completely sponsored graduation to exemption from appearing in entrance tests. Check out some of the benefits of qualifying the Olympiad below.
- Students who clear the National Informatics Olympiad become eligible for participating in the International Informatics Olympiad.
- CodeChef conducts a monthly programming contest Lunch Time through CodeChef for Schools and offers incentives for IOI through the Go for Gold for IOI programme.
- Amrita University offers fully funded B.Tech. Honors CSE programme for students who perform well in ICO.
- Chennai Mathematical Institute offers direct admission to students selected for IOITC in Class 12.
- IIIT Delhi offers bonus marks to students selected for INOI and IOITC.
- IIIT Hyderabad offers admission via the Olympiad category to students selected for IOITC.
- The Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo, Canada, offers Michael and Ophelia Lazaridis Olympiad Scholarships to IOI medalists.
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology has a scholarship scheme for IOI gold medalists.
- Nanyang Technical University (NTU), Singapore exempts IOI medalists from writing the entrance exam.
- National University of Singapore (NUS) offers special consideration for IOI medalists.
Also check other Olympiad
Details of the exam center along with the roll number of the candidates will be published on the official website of IARCS.
Students should refer to their course books for Olympiad preparation. Along with this, study material and sample papers can be found on the IARCS website.
The following will be the different stages of the International Informatics Olympiad:
Zonal Computing Olympiad or Zonal Informatics Olympiad
Indian National Olympiad in Informatics
IOI Training Camp
International Olympiad in Informatics
No. By clearing any one of these two exams will make the candidates eligible for the National Informatics Olympiad.
You can send an email to the National Coordinator of the Indian Computing Olympiad at [email protected] in case you have any questions or clarifications regarding the Olympiad.