Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) started a new special programme for school kids. The name of this programme is “Young Scientist Programme” “YUva VIgyani Karyakram” or YUVIKA. The program aims to encourage students to study and research more about space science, space technology, and space application.
ISRO is organising YUVIKA under its “Catch them young” initiative. The motive of this initiative is to build the interest of students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) subjects. A large number of students are showing their willingness to join this programme and waiting for ISRO YUVIKA 2024 registration to begin. Such students check the complete details about this ISRO initiative in this post.
ISRO YUVIKA 2024 Schedule
Check below the full schedule of ISRO YUVIKA 2024:
|Announcement of the programme by ISRO||March 2024|
|Starting of the registration process||March 2024|
|Last date to register||April 2024|
|Release of the first selection list||April 2024|
|Release of the second selection list (Only in case of vacancy or non-confirmation in the first selection list)||April 2024|
|Reporting of the selected students at the respective ISRO centres||May 2024|
|Dates of YUVIKA Programme||May 2024|
|Send off date for students from their respective centres||May 2024|
ISRO Centres Participating in YUVIKA
The programme will take place in the following centres of ISRO. Please note that it is a residential programme. It means students have to stay in the following centres till their course gets complete.
- Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad
- U. R. Rao Satellite Centre (URSC), Bengaluru
- Satish Dhavan Space Center (SDSC) Sriharikota
- Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), Dehradun
- National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), Hyderabad
- North-Eastern Space Applications Centre (NE-SAC), Shillong
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram
YUVIKA 2024 Selection Process
ISRO wants participation from those who are good in studies as well as in extra-curricular activities. This is the reason why it has given weightage to both academic performance and activity participation in YUVIKA Selection Criteria. The parameters or weightage given to various factors in YUVIKA selection are explained below.
|Parameters||Weightage in the YUVIKA selection|
|Marks obtained in the class 8th exam||50 %|
|Performance in the online quiz||10%|
|Participation in science fair in the last 3 years (school/ district/ state & above level)||2%/5%/10%|
|Rank in Olympiad or equivalent in the last 3 years (1st to 3rd rank in school/ district/ state & above level)||2%/4%/5%|
|Winners of sports competitions in the last 3 years (1st to 3rd rank in school/ district/ state & above level)||2%/4%/5%|
|Scout and Guides / NCC / NSS Member in last 3 years||5%|
|Studying in a Rural / Village School located in the Panchayat area||15%|
YUVIKA ISRO Eligibility Criteria
Check the eligibility criteria that every student needs to fulfil to apply for YUVIKA by ISRO.
- The student must be studying in class 9th as on 1st January 2024.
- Only those students who are studying within India are eligible to apply.
List of all scholarships and olympiads
ISRO YUVIKA Registration 2024
Registration for YUVIKA is most likely to start from March 2024. Those who want to apply may check out the following steps explaining the application process.
- To begin with, you should visit the official website of Antriksh Jigyasa i.e. jigyasa.iirs.gov.in/yuvika
- Click on the “Join Now” button appearing on the top-right of your screen.
- Next, a registration form will display on your screen. You must provide all the necessary details accurately in this form.
- The details you must enter in the application form are given below.
- Your Name
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Profession (Choose Student in this column)
- Click on the “Register” button from the bottom of the form once you are done filling in all the information.
- Please note that there are no registration fees for this application.
- After registration, you may check your profile by logging into the portal. Use the password generated during registration for signing in.
- Provide the rest of the details regarding your class 8th marks and other participation after logging in to the portal.
Travel Expenditure Reimbursement Facility
ISRO will reimburse students for the travel expenditure that they will spend to participate in the YUVIKA program. However, there are some important points that you should remember:
- ISRO will only cover the costs of the travel of the selected student. It will not reimburse the travel expenses of the family member accompanying the student.
- A student can claim for the reimbursement of the 2nd AC train fare or AC (including Volvo) bus fare by the State Government or authorised transport from the nearest Bus terminal or Railway Station to the reporting centre and back.
- Even if the student has not travelled by the 2nd AC train (II AC Class) then ISRO will provide a maximum reimbursement amount for the II AC train only. For example – You will get a reimbursement amount for the II AC train even if you travel by 1st AC class.
- To claim this amount, it is compulsory for students to show the original ticket.
Benefits of YUVIKA for Students
The YUVIKA programme of ISRO offers a number of benefits to students, both in terms of education and career opportunities.
- One of the primary benefits of YUVIKA is the opportunity to learn about space exploration and research. Through the programme, students can gain knowledge about the various aspects of space exploration such as rocket technology, propulsion systems, satellite communication and more.
- The programme also provides the chance for students to gain hands-on experience in the field of space exploration and research. This can be invaluable for students who wish to pursue a career in the space industry.
- With the help of YUVIKA initiative, students can connect with other ISRO professionals who are involved in the space industry. This can provide students with valuable contacts who can help them in their career development.
- The programme is free. ISRO will bear all the expenditure on the course material, lodging, boarding, etc. So, students will get all the knowledge and experience without spending any money.
Due to all these benefits of the programme, ISRO is trying hard to make it reach every student in the country. Check the official flyer released by ISRO for the same.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, ISRO has a rule for minimum participation from all states and UT of the country.
Yes, you are eligible to apply for YUVIKA. Those students who were in class 9th as on 1 January 2024 are eligible.
Yuva Vigyani Karyakram.
No, all students need to apply directly to ISRO through the Antriksh Jigyasa portal.