For graduate students wishing to attend the world-renowned University of Oxford, the Rhodes scholarship offers a distinguished, fully-funded opportunity. The oldest scholarship in the world was established in 1903 and continues to help students around the world today.
Scholarships are awarded to future world leaders who demonstrate a commitment to making a positive impact on the world around them. To find out more about the Rhodes scholarship, including how to apply, see the blog post.
Rhodes Scholarship 2023: At a Glance
|Scholarship Type||Merit-based, College-specific|
|Offered by||Rhodes Trust|
|Application Date||First week of August|
|Number of Scholarships available||100|
|Amount worth||$20,883 (INR 15,57,923)|
|International Students Eligible||Yes|
What is Rhodes Scholarship?
International students can apply for the Rhodes Scholarship 2023, which comes with a cash award of up to £10,000 every year. The award includes a yearly income of £15,144, as well as payment of all university and college tuition and the application fee for the recipient’s chosen university.
International students who plan to pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom for the academic year 2023-2024 are eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship. In addition to the income (£15,144 a year), Rhodes Scholars receive all university and college expenses, as well as the University application fee.
Each year, a group of 100 Scholars is chosen from among applicants hailing from more than 60 different nations.
With a Rhodes Scholarship, you’ll get access to the following benefits:
- A yearly income of £15,144; full payment of all college and university tuition;
- Only one economy class trip to Oxford and one economy class journey back home are provided to students who receive a scholarship.
- The application cost for college;
- Academic achievement and personal conduct must always meet the requirements of the scholarship for it to be renewed for a second term. It is possible to extend the scholarship to a third year for students who have taken a recognized path to the DPhil (PhD).
Countries eligible for Rhodes scholarship coverage
A total of 100 scholarship seats are allocated to the following countries:
|Country/Territory||Number of Scholarships|
|Hong Kong Sar||1|
|Jamaica and the Commonwealth Caribbean||2|
|Saudi Arabia||Up to 2|
|Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine||2|
|United Arab Emirates||32|
Rhodes Fellowship 2023 Eligibility
To be eligible for a Rhodes Scholarship, students must meet the requirements listed below. Only first-time students in the United Kingdom are eligible for the Rhodes scholarship.
- The candidate must be an Indian citizen, have an Indian passport or other proof of citizenship, and be eligible to apply.
- A minimum of four years of formal study at an Indian institution or university is required of all applicants.
- At the time of application submission, applicants must be no older than 26 years old.
- Candidates must have earned a first-class degree in their undergraduate studies.
Steps Involved in the Application Process
To be considered for a Rhodes Scholarship, interested individuals should follow the steps outlined in the following points.
- There is a link on the official website that candidates must click to register for an account.
- Fill out the application form available after registering.
- The application form must be accompanied by the necessary paperwork.
In order to apply for a Rhodes Scholarship, here is a list of the required documents:
- A current and valid Indian passport is required.
- Obtaining official copies of one’s 10th and 12th-grade school transcripts.
- The submission of IELTS or TOEFL results as evidence of English language ability
- Your most recent Curriculum Vitae (CV), which should be no longer than two pages in length, should include the following information: your academic achievements, awards and scholarships, current and past employments, community and political involvements, and any artistic, musical, or sporting achievements. Do not include a picture of yourself in your CV.
- A jpg file containing a color image.
- A maximum of 1,000 words may be used for your personal statement. As part of your application, you should explain why you are deserving of the award and include information about yourself.
- Six letters of recommendation, each providing the names and contact information for the referees. You must have at least three people who have taught you and can speak to your academic abilities as referees.
Criteria for selection
To maximize their chances of receiving the scholarship, applicants must meet the above-mentioned academic standards and meet specific eligibility restrictions. The following are the requirements for consideration for the Rhodes Scholarship:
- The candidate’s academic achievements play a major role in the selection process.
- Candidates that demonstrate a spirit of cooperation and camaraderie via activities such as dance, sports, music, debate, theater, writing, and the arts will be given preference.
- Candidates’ chances of selection are improved if they possess desirable soft qualities such as honesty, empathy, and protection of the weaker and less fortunate, as well as compassion and altruism.
- Candidates that have a strong desire to improve the state of the world by inspiring others to do the same.
Check all scholarships and Olympiads
Process Post Selection
The Selection Committee, which examines all of the applications and supporting documentation, makes the final decision on who will be invited to interview. The candidate’s financial background is not taken into consideration while making a decision. Find out how you can become a Rhodes Scholar by looking at the selection process:
- Interviews are used to narrow the pool of potential hires down to a final shortlist. If the applicant is not already in India, the personal interview and preliminary session will take place in New Delhi or by video call/telephone. Candidates will be narrowed down based on their performance in these rounds.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the Chairman’s tea or dinner with the selection committee before the final interview.
- The final decision will be communicated to the shortlisted candidates via email by the selection committee.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is only confirmed after a successful application to Oxford University.
Are There Any Restrictions or Exclusions?
First, a two-year Rhodes Scholarship is available. The annual salary and tuition are both covered by the grant. Stipends are granted to students who are responsible for their own housing arrangements. The scholarship period is adjusted to match the length of the course.
Aside from covering the costs of applying to Oxford University and obtaining a Tier 4 Study Visa, the Rhodes Trust also covers the International Health Surcharge (IHS). Flights from and to Britain are included in the package.
Students are given money to help them get settled in when they first arrive. The Trust handles the visa renewal and IHS application for scholars who change courses at the University.