Punjab is a northern state of India with majority of Sikh community residing in the state. A number of Sikh holidays like Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti, Parkash Utsav, Guru Teg Bahadur Martyrdom Day, Guru Nanak Jayanti, etc are observed by the Punjab state. Other than this, secular holidays like Republic Day, Gandhi Jayanti and other public holidays like Shivaratri, Rama Navami, Vijaya Dashami, etc are also celebrated in the state. In this article, a Punjab Holidays List 2023 has been provided that consists of all major holidays of Punjab that will be observed in the year 2023.
List of Punjab Government Holidays 2023
Government of every state decided some holidays that should be observed by all the public offices of the state, known as Government holidays. Most of these holidays are observed by the schools, banks and private offices as well. There are a total of around 25 government holidays in Punjab. Below here is given a list of Government holidays in Punjab in 2023. Dates and days on which these holidays will fall are also provided with the holidays. In case any kind of changes are made in the holidays list, modification will be made in the table accordingly.
|Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti||No Jayanti this year. This day fall twice in the last year|
|Republic Day||26 January 2023||Thursday|
|Guru Ravidas Jayanti||5 February 2023||Sunday|
|Maha Shivaratri||18 February 2023||Saturday|
|Holi||8 March 2023||Wednesday|
|Rama Navami||30 March 2023||Thursday|
|Mahavir Jayanti||4 April 2023||Tuesday|
|Vaisakhi||14 April 2023||Friday|
|Good Friday||7 April 2023||Friday|
|Sri Parsuram Jayanti||22 April 2023||Saturday|
|Eid-al-Fitr||22 April 2023||Saturday|
|Guru Arjun Dev Martyrdom Day||23 May 2023||Tuesday|
|Sant Kabir Jayanti||4 June 2023||Sunday|
|Bakrid/ Eid-al-Adha||29th June to 30th June 2023||Thursday to Friday|
|Independence Day||15 August 2023||Tuesday|
|Krishna Janamashtami||6 and 7 September 2023||Wednesday and Thursday|
|Parkash Utsav Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji||4 November 2023||Saturday|
|Saheed Bhagat Singh Jayanti||28 September 2023||Thursday|
|Gandhi Jayanti||2 October 2023||Monday|
|Vijaya Dashami||24 October 2023||Tuesday|
|Maharishi Valmiki Jayanti||28 October 2023||Saturday|
|Diwali||12 November 2023||Sunday|
|Guru Nanak Jayanti||27 November 2023||Monday|
|Guru Teg Bahadur Martyrdom Day||24 November 2023||Friday|
|Christmas||25 December 2023||Monday|
List of Bank Holidays in Punjab 2023
Bank holidays are the specific holidays on which banks remain close. Bank are normally closed on the government holidays listed above and on Sundays as well. Second and fourth Saturdays are also off in banks but the banks remain fully functional on rest Saturdays. A list of all the second and fourth Saturdays falling in the year on which the banks will remain close is provided below. Rest Saturdays will be working if no other holidays falls on those days.
- 14th January : Second Saturday
- 28th January : Fourth Saturday
- 11th February : Second Saturday
- 25th February : Fourth Saturday
- 11th March : Second Saturday
- 25th March : Fourth Saturday
- 8th April : Second Saturday
- 22nd April : Fourth Saturday
- 13th May : Second Saturday
- 27th May : Fourth Saturday
- 10th June : Second Saturday
- 24th June : Fourth Saturday
- 8th July : Second Saturday
- 22nd July : Fourth Saturday
- 12th August : Second Saturday
- 26th August : Fourth Saturday
- 9th September : Second Saturday
- 23rd September : Fourth Saturday
- 14th October : Second Saturday
- 28th October : Fourth Saturday
- 11th November : Second Saturday
- 25th November : Fourth Saturday
- 9th December : Second Saturday
- 23rd December : Fourth Saturday
School Holidays in Punjab in 2023
Parents among us are always concerned about whether it is a holiday in Punjab private schools tomorrow. Almost every Government holidays listed above are observed by the schools of Punjab state. Other than this, Sundays are also day off in schools. Regarding Saturdays, different schools have different rules of holiday.
Some schools are open while some are closed. Some schools run senior classes on Saturdays but junior classes remain suspended. Details about school holidays in Punjab 2023 can be found by visiting the official website of concerned school or from its prospectus. Apart from this the Punjab government also announces whether there is a school holiday tomorrow?
Important festivals celebrated in Punjab
Here are some important festivals that are celebrated with utmost excitement among the Sikhs of Punjab as well as Sikhs all around the globe.
- Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti- This day marks the birth anniversary of the tenth and last Guru of Sikhs Guru Gobind Singh. Guru Gobind Singh Ji Jayanti is observed with great enthusiasm among the Sikhs all over the world. Prayers are held at Gurudwaras and processions are also carried out on this day.
- Guru Arjun Dev Martyrdom Day- Guru Arjan Martyrdom’s Day is observed to commemorate the fifth Sikh Guru Arjan Dev who was executed on the order of Mughal emperor Jehangir in 1606 for refusing to convert to Islam. This holiday falls normally in the month of May or June according to the Nanakshahi calendar.
- Parkash Utsav Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji– Parkash Utsav Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a regional holiday of Punjab state. On this very day, the religious scripture of Sikhs Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was palced inside the Golden Temple in Amritsar in 1604.
- Guru Nanak Jayanti- Also known as Guru Nanak Dev Ji Gurpurab or Guru Nanak’s Prakash Utsav marks the birth anniversary of first Sikh guru, Guru Nanak who is believed to be the founder of Sikhism. It is the most important festival for Sikhs and is celebrated with high excitement in the state of Punjab with prayers and processions carried out all over the state.
Please follow the list of holidays share above. You should also keep your close eyes on Punjab schools holidays notification and holidays announced by the Government.
Please follow the list of schools holidays in Punjab shared above.