Tripura is a hilly state of north-east India that is bordered by Bangladesh on three sides. The state observes a number of holidays which include secular holidays like Republic Day, Independence Day and national holidays like Maha Shivaratri, Holi, Dussehra, etc. In addition to this, there are many regional holidays like Biju Festival, Garia Puja, Ker Puja and other celebrated in Tripura as well. The dates for some festivals are fixed while for others they keep changing. This article provides a complete Tripura holidays list 2023 along with the dates and days on which they are falling.
List of Tripura Government Holidays 2023
There are few festivals that are called as Government holidays and they are observed by all the public offices in Tripura state. Most private offices, banks and schools in the state also observe these holidays. Below presented is the list of Tripura government holidays 2023 along with their respective days and dates. If any changes are made by the concerned authority in the dates of these holidays, the same will be reflected here.
|Republic Day||26 January 2023||Thursday|
|Saraswati Puja||26 January 2023||Thursday|
|Maha Shivaratri||18 February 2023||Saturday|
|Holi||8 March 2023||Wednesday|
|Biju Festival||14 April 2023||Friday|
|Good Friday||7 April 2023||Friday|
|Bengali New Year||15 April 2023||Saturday|
|Garia Puja||21 April 2023||Friday|
|Additional holiday for Garia Puja||22 April 2023||Saturday|
|Eid-al-Fitr||22 April 2023||Saturday|
|Guru Rabindranath Jayanti||9 May 2023||Tuesday|
|Buddha Purnima||5 May 2023||Friday|
|Kazi Nazrul Islam Jayanti||24 May 2023||Wednesday|
|Kharchi Puja||26 June 2023||Monday|
|Ker Puja||11 July 2023||Tuesday|
|Bakrid/ Eid-al-Adha||29 June 2023||Thursday|
|Muharram||28 July 2023||Saturday|
|Independence Day||15 August 2023||Tuesday|
|Krishna Janmashtami||7 September 2023||Thursday|
|Mahalaya Amavasye||14 October 2023||Saturday|
|Gandhi Jayanti||2 October 2023||Monday|
|Maha Saptami||21 October 2023||Saturday|
|Maha Ashtami||22 October 2023||Sunday|
|Maha Navami||23 October 2023||Monday|
|Vijaya Dashami||24 October 2023||Tuesday|
|Eid-e-Milad/ Milad-un-Nabi||28 September 2023||Thursday|
|Diwali||12 November 2023||Sunday|
|Christmas||25 December 2023||Monday|
List of Bank Holidays in Tripura 2023
All the above-mentioned public holidays will be observed by the banks in Tripura state. Other than this, the banks in Tripura also marks all the Sundays and second and fourth Saturdays as holidays. However, it should be noted that services like ATM, IMPS, NEFT, etc remain active on the bank holidays. A list has been provided below that shows the dates on which the second and fourth Saturdays will fall in each month of the year 2023.
- 14th January : Second Saturday
- 28th January : Fourth Saturday
- 11th February : Second Saturday
- 25th February : Fourth Saturday
- 11th March : Second Saturday
- 25th March : Fourth Saturday
- 8th April : Second Saturday
- 22nd April : Fourth Saturday
- 13th May : Second Saturday
- 27th May : Fourth Saturday
- 10th June : Second Saturday
- 24th June : Fourth Saturday
- 8th July : Second Saturday
- 22nd July : Fourth Saturday
- 12th August : Second Saturday
- 26th August : Fourth Saturday
- 9th September : Second Saturday
- 23rd September : Fourth Saturday
- 14th October : Second Saturday
- 28th October : Fourth Saturday
- 11th November : Second Saturday
- 25th November : Fourth Saturday
- 9th December : Second Saturday
- 23rd December : Fourth Saturday
School Holidays in Tripura 2023
Almost every Government holidays mentioned above are observed by the schools of Tripura state. Other than this, Sundays are marked as holidays too. However, Saturdays are not observed as holidays by all the schools and every school has its own policy regarding this. One can find the details about the School Holidays in Tripura 2023 from the school’s annual holiday calendar. Same can be found in the school prospectus or its official website.
Some important festival of Tripura state
Some general insight on important festivals of the Tripura state that are also specific to it have been provided below. Let us see them one by one.
- Biju Festival- Biju Festival is a festival celebrated in the Tripura state that lasts for three days. The first day is called Phool Biju, second day is Mul Biju and the third day is known as Gotche Potche Biju. This day marks the beginning of a new year for the Chakma community. It usually falls in the month of April.
- Garia Puja- This is a festival specific to the Tripua state and is observed on the seventh day of the month of Vaishakha. Garia Puja is celebrated in the honor of universal god Baba Goria. The pooja lasts for a total of seven days. It usually falls in the month of April.
- Kharchi Puja- Kharchi Puja is a popular Hindu festival of Tripura in which fourteen Gods are worshiped. The festival that lasts for seven days is held at the temple of fourteen gods at Old Agartala. There are many legends associated with the Kharchi Puja. It usually falls in the month of June-July.
- Ker Puja– Ker Puja is celebrated two weeks after the Kharchi Pooja and is specific to the Tripura state only. Ker, the guardian deity of Vastu Devata is worshiped on this day his blessing is sought to protect people from calamities and external aggression. It usually falls in the month of July-August.