World Cancer Day 2022 is being observed on February 4, 2022 and this year the theme is Close the care gap. This theme is about finding and addressing the existing barriers for people around the world to access the care they need.
The goal of World Cancer Day is to raise awareness, motivate action, and decrease cancer’s worldwide effect. Every year on the 4th of February, it has been commemorated. The goal of World Cancer Day is to dispel cancer myths and provide people with accurate information about the disease. It also provides an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer.
Cancer is the biggest cause of death across the world. Lung, heart, cervix, face & throat, and bowel cancer are the most common malignancies among Indians (CRC). As a result, it’s critical to comprehend each kind of cancer and how it affects the body. During World Cancer Day, everybody joins along with the goal of making the planet a happier and kinder place free of cancer.
World Cancer Day 2022: History
The 4th of February is World Cancer Day. The World Cancer Day commemoration has been dubbed a “global unifying effort” by the Union of International Cancer Control (UICC). This means that individuals all around the globe are being urged to band together and combat the illness via early identification, treatment, and spiritual support.
Since 2000, when it was originally created at the World Cancer Summit against Cancer for the New Millennium in Paris, World Cancer Day has been observed. The ‘Charter of Paris Against Cancer’ was ratified by the then-French President and the General Director of UNESCO on February 4, 2000.
Also Check: List of Important Days and Dates
World Cancer Day 2022: Significance
The purpose of World Cancer Day is to catalyse personal, communal, and government action in order to reduce the worldwide burden of cancer and to provide support for cancer survivors. Incorrect information and stigma regarding cancer are also addressed on World Cancer Day.
Breast, oral, cervical, lung, and colorectal cancer are the most prevalent cancer forms in India, making it critical to offer timely information and treatment. World Cancer Day, as a United Nations-observed day, aims to bring the worldwide community together in solidarity of cancer patients and calls on all worldwide people to take measures against the illness.
World Cancer Day 2022: Causes of Cancer
There is no conclusive reason why people get cancer. However, in order to decrease the risk of cancer, we must preserve and protect oneself from specific variables such as hazardous lifestyle behaviours. Take a look at some of the most frequent factors that raise your risk of cancer:
- Genes: Some malignancies, such as breast cancer, are inherited. It’s possible that you’ll get cancer if you have defective genes running in your family. Always keep up with your regular check-ups and full-body exams.
- Cigarettes: Nicotine, which is present in tobacco, may raise your cancer risk.
- Foods: Adding additives, chemicals, and other hazardous substances to foods increases the risk of cancer. As much as possible, stay away from such meals.
- Toxic chemicals in the environment: Toxic compounds such as arsenic, benzene, asbestos, and others may be hazardous.
- Sedentary Lifestyle: Living a sedentary lifestyle with little or no physical exercise may result in chronic diseases like cancer. The youth is becoming sedentary and lethargic as a result of their use of smartphones. Set up a certain time to utilise it, and concentrate on sports activities such as exercise, dancing, and aerobics. Bad eating habits also have a significant influence in the development of cancer in the future.
- Radiation: Radioactivity may disintegrate atoms and harm DNA in cells, resulting in serious diseases such as cancer. If you believe you may be at risk for cancer as a result of radiation exposure, speak with your doctor.
World Cancer Day 2022: Symptoms of Cancer
Because there are so many different kinds of cancer, the signs of each of these differ. Although, there are several types of cancer that have general symptoms that are noticeable sufficient for all of you to notice. Take a glance at these:
- Abrupt weight loss
- Severe tiredness
- Changes in bowel and bladder function
- Severe facial abnormalities
Regular medical screenings and timely cancer diagnosis are the only ways to combat and defeat this terrible illness. It is always preferable to seek guidance and assistance from a professional and to do so at the appropriate time.
World Cancer Day 2022: Theme
2022 World Cancer Day theme is Close the care gap.
“I Am and I Will” was the theme for World Cancer Day 2021. In 2021 it focused on reinforcing the idea of the lasting power of collaboration and team effort.
We might accomplish what we really want: a happier, bright world free of cancer, if we want to work collectively.